Thursday, June 18, 2009

One-Adam-12, One-Adam-12, see the fisherman...

Not everyone is happy with my new companion blog The Brig, which offers daily reports of crime and bad behavior from across Alaska's commercial fishing world.

One image conscious commercial fisherman complains: "I read this thing and it is apparent that the AK commfish industry is a sham and that we're all a bunch of crooks and drunks."

I can sympathize with anyone who sees The Brig as poor public relations for fishermen and cannery workers.

On the other hand, what I'm posting is no different from the police blotter in any local newspaper. For some reason, crime reports captivate readers.

Having said that, be sure to check out today's posting on The Brig.

It's a classic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Loy,

Please keep it up. I have 4 or 5"serious" blogs that I pretty much look at daily to track our industry, and I look forward to your compilation, especially the lighter stuff coming out of the Dutch Harbor paper. I would rather learn from the experiences of others, than suffer the indignities myself...

kl

Anonymous said...

Journalists regularly report on crime of all kinds, anywhere and any kind. And as I recall, in your previous incarnation, Mr. Loy, you were employed as a top notch newspaperman. Keep up the Brig.

As Forrest Gump was fond of saying, stupid is as stupid does.

Be safe out there this summer on the fishing grounds, part of those laws are for your personal protection, some of them are to protect the resource for the future.